Research shows that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I totally agree with it. After a good night’s sleep, not eaten for so many hours, your stomach is empty, you are hungry and need the energy to kick start the day.
So for me, it’s always a challenge to come up with new breakfast ideas since we always take time to have breakfast together. We do always start with fresh cold press juices. Then the usual would be either egg any style paired with bacon and veggies, or oatmeal with various toppings, greek yogurt with homemade granola, or some paleo bread with avocado. During weekends I love to make glutenfree pancakes, French toast, or the family favorite Shakshuka.
Today I mix some familiar breakfast ingredients into something new, and yay the berries crumble is born! We all know the famous apple crumble, especially growing up in The Netherlands, we Dutchies know what to do with apples.
But the other week I bought lots of fresh berries and it’s ideal to have these little gems for breakfast. They are packed with antioxidants and loaded with vitamin C, they look pretty and delicate, what’s not to love?
For this crumble, I made it all really easy, not too many ingredients and I keep it very basic. You can always choose to marinate the fruit with juices and sweets. But in this recipe, I keep it all simple and natural. Enjoy this in the morning, like brunch, snack, or even dessert, just whenever you feel like it!
Breakfast Berry Crumble
Serves 4 portions
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 cups organic rolled oats
- 1 cup raw mixed quinoa
- 2 tablespoon of almond meal
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of palm or coconut nectar sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon of coconut or macadamia oil
- Pre heat oven to 180 C / 350 F.
- Use a medium-size ceramic oven proof pan and add all the berries and mix well.
- In a mixing bowl add rolled oats, raw quinoa, almond meal, maple syrup, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and oil together and mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture on top of the mixed berries.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until crumble crust turns golden brown.
- Serve immediately while it’s hot.
- Serving suggestion: amazingly good with some frozen yogurt.