I love to start my day with oatmeal because it reminds me of my childhood. Whenever I was sick my mom would make me this big bowl of comforting oatmeal including an egg in it.
It was the best cure for any cold or flu. Nowadays I just make oatmeal because it’s easy, nutritious, and satisfying.
Although Andrew is not a big fan of it, luckily Rocco is! The two of us will have it with all sorts of toppings like blueberries, banana, nut butter, seeds and maple syrup. Not to mention that I’m a sucker for all kinds of superfood, so chia and flaxseeds go in there too and some goji, mulberries and bee pollen to keep the palette colorful.
In this version of my oatmeal I half a mashed banana to sweeten things up naturally. You don’t need to add any other sweetener such as maple syrup or honey. It’s sweet enough for my taste.
I can’t wait for you to try my version of naturally sweetened creamy oatmeal which is healthy and packed with fiber. Or use the recipe as a guideline and go bananas with the toppings and superfoods 🙂
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 plant milk of choice (I often use soy milk, coconut milk or almond milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1-2 tsp peanut butter
- shaved dark chocolate
- Mash the banana in a saucepan and add rolled oats, milk and turn on the heat.
- Cook for about 5 minutes and keep stirring.
- Add all the dry ingredients until everything is cooked together.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a shallow bowl and now is the time to decorate your bowls nicely with the blueberries, peanut butter, shaved dark chocolate, and slices of bananas.