Who doesn’t love pancakes? I surely do. At our recent trip to Amsterdam I really craved a good old Dutch style pancake.
We had pancakes at a cute children’s farm where we fed the goats with milk, the kids played at the playground. Amsterdam, especially during Summer, is truly the best place to be.
We used to have pancakes on Saturdays, where Andrew is then for one time the head of chef in the kitchen, which is a rare situation. I have to admit, he really is the master of baking delicious fluffy pancakes. While he is busy flipping one pancake to another and try to build the famous pancakes stack, Rocco and I will then be busy eating them all before they even make it to the dining table! It’s a great joy having my two men in my kitchen.
Creating gluten free recipes are always a big challenge, especially for typical wheat flour dishes like pancakes. As every flour reacts different on the ingredients you mix them with.
Warning (!) these pancakes therefore do need a little practice to flip them over, but hey, that’s a good excuse to make them more often. A successful pancake is crunchy on the edges and fluffy in the center. This recipe past the test!
Gluten Free Berries Pancakes
Serves 8 small pancakes
- 4 free range eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut as topping
- 3/4 cup of gluten free flower (I use a mix of quinoa, tapioca and rice flower. But you can use any gluten free flour)
- 1/2 cup blue berries
- handful of blueberries and raspberries as topping
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut or macadamia oil
- 1 tablespoon of coconut nectar or palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix eggs and bananas together in a mixing bowl using a fork.
- Add gluten free flower mix, blueberries, cinnamon, vanilla extract, sugar and oil. Mix everything well.
- Use a medium to large skillet on high heat with a dash of oil.
- Use a 1/3 measuring cup for each pancake and bake the pancakes in badges of three if that fits.
- Pancakes are ready to flip when small bubbles are formed and the edges are golden brown.
- Flip it to the other side until it turns golden brown.
- Serve with some maple syrup and mixed berries.
- Enjoy these amazing healthy and delicious pancakes!