Who doesn’t love a flavourful pesto? They come in handy in pasta dishes, on toast, mixed with mayonnaise for a cream sauce or dip. This Easy Basil Walnut Pesto is my go-to pesto recipe.
I swap the classic pine nuts for walnuts extra crunch, healthy fats and anti-oxidants. Using mainly pantry staples, except for the basil, but basil is easy to get your hands on since they grow through the year. You may even grow your own basil, right in the comfort of your kitchen?
Since I started to grow my own vegetables and herbs, I can’t stop making use of them. Stay tuned for more delicious healthy recipes packed with leafy greens and herbs. But for now, let’s make this Easy Basil Walnut Pesto shall we?
Easy Basil Walnut Pesto
- 1/3 cup walnuts (substitute with any nuts or seeds)
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or grated parmesan cheese for nonvegans
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (don’t skip this as it prevents the pesto from turning brown)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (sub with water for oil-free)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor except the olive oil.
- While the machine is blending slowly drizzle oil in it.
- Keep blending until everything is well blended but still has some texture.
- Scrape down the sides with a spatula if needed.
- Taste and adjust the taste to your preference: more salt, more lemon juice, or more cheese.
- Refrigerate in an airtight jar or glass container for up to 1 week. Enjoy!