Did you know that cucumbers are 95% water? Therefore, if you don’t like to drink water, eat cucumbers! This smashed Chinese cucumber salad is easy to make, fresh and delicious as a side dish. Besides it’s garlicky, zingy and packed with bold typical Chinese pantry staples.
The list of benefits of cucumbers is endless! For example, they are cheap, available throughout the year, hydrating, cleansing, detoxifying, helps reduce blood pressure and according to Traditional Chinese Medicine, it’s a cooling ingredient. In other words, it reduces “heat” in your body to bring your body back to balance (read optimal health)
You may recognize this dish at the Chinese restaurant serve as a starter. They look like small pickled cucumbers next to the fried peanuts. I love these cucumbers since I was little, they are perfectly seasoned and crunchy. Moreover, I hope you will like these as much as I do! Perfect way to add more veggies into your meals!
Smashed Chinese Cucumber Salad
- 2 long Japanese cucumbers
- 1/2 teaspoon pink salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (replace with soy sauce or tamari)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- On a cutting board, lay a large knife flat against the cucumber, and smash it lightly with your other hand. The cucumber should crack open and looks bruised. Keep doing this for the whole length of the cucumber. Once the whole cucumber is completely open, cut it at a 45-degree angle into diamond bite-sized pieces. (please check my IGTV for the video where I show you how to do this here)
- Transfer the cucumbers into a bowl and set aside.
- Minced the garlic and sprinkle this on top of the cucumbers.
- Make the salad dressing by combining salt, coconut sugar, sesame oil, coconut aminos or soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Stir until the sugar and salt are completely dissolved and set aside.
- Mix the cucumbers with the dressing and make sure it absorbs the dressing. Serve, garnished with sesame seeds and scallions optional.
- This cucumber salad is a great side dish with fluffed rice and your protein of choice.