Growing up in Amsterdam made me very multicultural, which I’ve experienced as a very good thing that I’m grateful for. I love to travel, meet new friends with all sorts of cultural backgrounds and the bonus of all is trying out new food during my travels.
I don’t really have a favorite cuisine, but somehow I have a soft spot for Middle Eastern cuisine. A creamy hummus definitely makes my heart beats faster, it’s one of my favorite dips!
The main ingredient chickpeas is an underrated legume if I may say. Since eating a plant-based diet I always turn to chickpeas when I want to eat something filling, healthy, packed with protein, and creamy. I stock them up in my pantry and use them at least once a week in my meal prepping.
Chickpeas are great in stews, coconut lentil dahl, in salads, in soup, and in a creamy hummus! If you were looking for the ultimate hummus recipe which is using easy and cheap ingredients, look no further.
Making homemade creamy hummus has become a weekly activity, it’s fast and requires little ingredients! Let’s make it!
The Hummus Dip
- 1 can cooked chickpeas, washed and drained
- 1/3 cup light tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/3 cup water (in place of olive oil)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Blend everything on high in a food processor or high speeds blender until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add more water if it’s too thick.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.